State Games Medal Winners

State Games Medal Winners
Jon, Caitlyn, Emily and Coach

FINE LINE RACING

FINE LINE RACING
Triathlon, Swimming, Cycling, and Running Coaching

Saturday, June 16, 2007

Colorado Springs Sat April, 21, 2007

Saturday, April 21, 2007
Colorado Springs is a diverse transitional change from the comfort of the California Coast. At just below 8,000 ft elevation, the experience of owning and managing an acre of land, adjacent to the wildlife of the Rocky Mountians, I have had to create boundaries from the foodchain activity, lest my own experience enter me into that chain. Fences are huge, in this environment; as an autonomous woman maneuvering amongst the forces of nature, and the survival instincts of carnivorous creatures larger than myself, I am at once moved by the interaction and delineation between my space and theirs. I have developed tremendous respect for those here before and, to date, have enjoyed sharing the space. Doe have birthed fawns in my side yard for decades; the food chain is immediately evident, here!

Athletic activity, such as cycling and running trails, carries its own mandate for safety, in this element. Mountain trails indicate a diverse nature of wildlife risks. Bears forage for any food they can find in the fall; a hapless runner with an energy bar might fall prey to a pre-hibernating forager. Carrying any kind of food, or wearing soiled clothing, invites an ill-fated, 500 lb chase.

The altitude carries risks of its own; strenous activity, without proper ongoing hydration, invites dehydration and insidious muscle breakdown.

Finding a lap and swimming pool, here, is a daunting task. Fortunately, athlete's friend REI is found on many corners, here.

Winter carries several insidous circumstances, of its own. From the seemingly simply challenges of shoveling one's own driveway, walkway and sidewalks, to maneuvering in the outdoor athletic environment, constant precautions must be excercised to avoid hypothermia. Some of these precautions, include, but are not limited to: appropriately layered technical clothing, warm fluids in a carry container, sports drink to avoid dehydration from exertion at -10 degrees, hat, hand and foot warmers in approprate shoes and mittens.

Many times, a trek outdoors in extreme temperatures, indicate a neoprene face mask to protect against wind chill and damage.

One of my favorite activites, following a heavy snow, is the pristine trek or jog, on snowshoes. I can do this from my front door or garage. In fact, a bike jersey and jacket, with garage door opener in jersey pocket, is incredibly convenient. Once I set out, a 2 hour snowshoe trek is usually the norm. Meeting 5 point bucks and their harem, while negotiating the wilderness, is not uncommon. Having hand fed a buck, without getting gored, (though not recommended) I have gained tremendous respect for these giant creatures!

At the present time, I am negotiating repair of a falling wood fence; a 4x4 requires re-sinking and foundation cement. The front wire fence must be fortified and tied in; I will do this myself.

Posted by Lynne Fonda at 4:33 AM

No comments: