State Games Medal Winners

State Games Medal Winners
Jon, Caitlyn, Emily and Coach

FINE LINE RACING

FINE LINE RACING
Triathlon, Swimming, Cycling, and Running Coaching

Saturday, June 16, 2007

From Paradise to Arctic Zone Fri May 4, 2007

Friday, May 04, 2007

From Paradise to the Arctic Circle Current mood: enthralled

Last night, I watched, in wonder, as complex and confused, massive, bolts of lightening filled the skies overhead. With my panoramic view, I followed the movement of thunderclouds to the north and east. Well into the night, close to midnight, the storm moved away to create tornados out east (plains and Kansas); damage was extensive , according to this morning's news.

I awoke, this morning, to wet, frigid sleet lining the deck, and sticking to the front windows. Good thing I went outside, at 10:00 am last night, to disconnect hoses from faucets. One minor oversight here, will incur damage in the $$$ thousands.

Five hours later, and all schools and many businesses, are closed; slippery wet sleet is shown on each highway included in the weather-cam. "Windy, Cold, Rainy & Snowy" according to the weather channel; advisory is "stay at home" if possible, and the phrase "nasty travel" is bandied about on this channel. Highs today have been reached, as of 9:00 am this morning; 32 degrees.

This is Colorado Springs, in "Spring"! Gotta love the diversity!

That said, I don't like it , as I had a 3000 yd. swim scheduled this morning; discretion, however, mandates 'waiting it out'. I hope I don't have to shovel, today;the windchill is wicked!

Up on my mountain, snowplows dropping anti-skid, don't come. This is fine with me, as I have a car that can maneuver safely, in these conditions. The problem is......85% of drivers do not. When I venture out in conditions such as these, I see a multitude of cars at diverse angles and directions, who've slid from the off-camber road, called Vindicator. This is the main road down the hill. Centennial offers another route, but not for travel North.

Drivers tend to travel at the same speeds as in optimum weather conditions. Avoid I-25 at all costs; the long haul truckers, on the beat-up two lane highway will not. I don't get it.

I miss the well-enforced roads of California where long haul trucks are mandated to the right lane, with speeds not exceeding 55 mph. Here, they barrel by at 80-90 mph!! Neither conditions nor mechanical equipment assure safety of these rigs! Commonplace, are collisions; big rig vs compact auto. The carnage can be startling.

Last year, a rig came off the ramp at Garden of the Gods; a fast descent! The rig's brakes failed, and he plowed into 3 cars waiting at the red light. One fatality resulted. Simply minding her own business, the victim never knew what hit her.

Sunday I discovered Red Rock Canyon; they call it the "locals" Garden of the Gods. Several 'wall climb loops' are offered and I found a long one. Not prepared for a long hike, my endurance base served me well, one more time. After hiking one hour straight up, I negotiated 3 single tracks, only to find none of them took me back down. I doubled back and took a wider track, with a steep descent down. Next, will be me and my mountain bike on the track up to the carved, red rock quarry. Absolutely beautful, from what I could see!! The natural wonders here, are awe-inspiring and neverending!

Also on my schedule is the Waldo Canyon hike; a 6 mile affair. Preparation will be mandatory. I've driven out Hwy 24 several times now, in the past 2 weeks, and wondered about the parked cars at a point on the road. While searching online, I found a detailed description of this hike.

Next up, as well, will be THE INCLINE - nearly 6,000 stairs lead to an upper trail to Pikes Peak. August showcases a footrace Ascent (basically a half-marathon to the top; 7600 ft elev to 14,000 ft elev). The following day presents the Pikes Peak Marathon; an elite event. Last year's winner was Adventure Legend Danelle Ballangee. Registration is already closed.

Hypothermia, during both events, is the risk-element to this event. That removes my experience, entirely.

No comments: